Closures and changes to Southend Borough Council's Services & Facilities due to Coronavirus
Updated 26/3/20. Source www.southend.gov.uk
Please note that waste collections are currently operating as normal. We do have contingency plans in place, and will communicate those if/when those plans are required. The Household Recycling Centres are closed.
In line with Government advice, we have made the decision to close the following venues, to help protect our staff and the public during the coronavirus outbreak. Further details and future re-opening will be given when necessary.
- The Civic Centre (apart from Registration services)
- The Cliff Lift
- Cliffs Pavilion
- Palace Theatre
- Southend Pier and Visitor Information Centre
- Prittlewell Priory and Visitor Centre
- Central Museum
- Focal Point Gallery
- Beecroft Gallery
- Southchurch Hall
- Library services at the Forum and all branches, the Home Library Service, library delivery service (to care homes).
- Belfairs Swim Centre
- Chase Sports and Fitness Centre
- Shoeburyness Leisure Centre
- Southend Leisure and Tennis Centre
- The Tickfield Centre
- Leigh Marshes household waste recycling site
- Stock Road household waste recycling site
- Belfairs Golf course
- All playgrounds and outdoor gyms
- start to bowls and cricket season has been suspended
Council Update 27/3/20.
The service changes are as follows:
- Highways grass cutting and shrub pruning – suspended
- Tree works – routine tree inspections, tree planting and tree pruning suspended
- Outdoor sports facilities – Public use is suspended and maintenance will be reduced
- Parks – Maintenance reduced
- Open green spaces (other than parks) – Maintenance reduced
- Play areas – All play areas have been closed. Safety inspections will continue but will be reduced
- South Essex Homes sites – Maintenance of green spaces reduced with a focus on keeping emergency exits clear.
- Schools – Reduced grass cutting and pruning with a focus on keeping emergency exits clear.
- Emergency responses to situations such as fallen trees will be maintained.
- Litter picking and bin emptying in green spaces will continue, as will the watering of new trees. Works at the council’s cemeteries and crematorium will also continue.