Home > Farmers' Market
Come and visit the Farmers' Market run by Leigh-on-Sea Town Council
LEIGH COMMUNITY CENTRE, ELM ROAD, LEIGH-ON-SEA
9.00am to 12.00noon
For more information call: 01702 716288 or email: email@example.com
dates for 2013
|Friday 15th Feb|
|Friday 15th March|
|Friday 19th April|
|Friday 17th May|
Friday 21st June
|Friday 19th July|
|Friday 16th August|
|Friday 20th Sept|
|Friday 18th Oct|
|Friday 15th Nov|
|Saturday 21st Dec|
Farmers' Markets are now an established way for people to buy food products from farmers or producers as freshly as possible.
These markets now cover the whole country, and have grown considerably in this part of Essex. Leigh, however, had the first Farmers' Market in this area and, we think it is still the best, being small and friendly, but maintaining a wide range of products for all.
A television programme worked out the miles that food travelled for a normal meal, with bacon from Denmark, beans from Kenya, potatoes from Cyrus etc. etc. Just think how much energy was used in getting that food to the table, and the time taken, compared with products bought at a Farmers' Market.
The Leigh Farmers' Market maintains its original principles in terms of distance producers travel, the requirement that only the producers are allowed at the market and agents or third parties are not. We do not, and will not diversify into non-foodstuffs or non locally produced products.
Regular stallholders at the Leigh market are:
- Wildfield Farm from Tolleshunt D’Arcy, who have a wide range of quality assured vegetables in season.
- Highfield Farm bring beef joints, steaks, mince etc. from their rare breed cows.
- Andrea Halsall from Kiddles Farm in Dedham sells excellent herbs when in season.
- During late summer and autumn, we have apples from Hilltop Farm in Benfleet, and at seasonal times, soft fruit and asparagus are at the market.
- Pork and bacon come from the Gloucester Old Spots, Saddlebacks and Large Blacks of Rhyne Park Farm.
- Layer Marney farm in north Essex have a wide variety of meats, including lamb and venison.
- Valerie Stanton brings her own hens’ eggs, which always sell out early.
- The Samosa Shack brings in high quality samosas produced in Shoebury.
- The Chilli Chutney man has a range of high quality chutneys and sauces with chillies made in Leigh-on-Sea.
- Springstep Dairies from near Maldon have a herd of goats, from which they produce the best goats milk (whole fat, skimmed and semi-skimmed) and a range of cheeses. The goats are looked after to the highest standards, eating natural grass and silage.
- Le Moulin Bakery from Hornchurch provides a wide range of bread and pastries freshly made for the market using only the best quality flour and other ingredients.
- Clare and Nigel Lane from Hill Holme Juice at Great Totham bring many varieties of delicious bottled apple juices, plus apples blended with other fruits.
- The Bullocky Smokehouse has a wide range of smoked fish, meats and cheeses on offer.
- Paula Kennedy from Leigh-on-Sea, sells a range of cakes and cookies, and also offers a cake decorating service