The document is an outline of the discussions that took place within the Council from January to October 2018 helping to shape a strategic plan for the period of 2019 to 2023.
A new Council was elected in May 2019, and this strategic plan will help to drive our short and long-term goals and to inform our budget-setting and expenditure. Sitting along side it is an Action Plan and this will be monitored and updated on a regular basis
It clearly explains to Councillors, staff, residents, businesses and our partners exactly what the Council intends to achieve over the next four years.The plan will be regularly reviewed to ensure that progress is being made.
The Councillors and Council Officers are excited to deliver this plan and are determined to ensure that Leigh-on-Sea remains a town that delivers quality services to our residents, local businesses, visitors and the wider community.
Download the full document below:
To be proactive in creating effective partnership working between Southend-on-Sea Borough Council and Leigh-on-Sea Town Council to ensure a shared vision for Leigh-on-Sea
- Economic support for local business and traders through the Leigh Partnership Group
- Through the Old Leigh Spatial Plan aid development of Southend-on-Sea Borough Council Local Plan and stakeholders interests to attract future investment in Leigh Port
- Restoration of the Belvedere viewing platform in partnership with Southend-on-Sea Borough Council
- Remain pro-active in assisting Southend-on-Sea Borough Council with the rejuvenation of Leigh Library Gardens through the Friends of Leigh Library Garden Campaign
- Launch a Friends of Bonchurch Park campaign with the help of Southend-on-Sea Borough Council
- Through Make Southend Sparkle support litter picking campaigns and awareness throughout the Town and find solutions to litter issue
- Proactive involvement in the emerging Local Plan by Southend-on-Sea Borough Council
- Councillors to accept any training opportunities from Southend-on-Sea Borough Council
- Foster good working relationships between Leigh-on-Sea Town Council Officers and Southend-on-Sea Borough Council Councillors and Officers
To identify community facilities that would enhance the quality of life of local residents and to explore ways of securing the necessary resources with minimum impact on the precept
- Ongoing repairs and remodel of Leigh Community Centre to create a better community facility
- Identifying and completing effective projects for the community that meet the Community Infrastructure Levy criteria
- Engage in opportunities to provide and/or promote community facilities for the youth
- Be open to community initiatives at the Allotment sites
- Create a programme of excursions through the Community Transport Scheme for disabled and elderly residents
- Raise awareness, promote and enhance Council events, activities and markets in the Town
- Refurbishment and extension of the Skate Park to provide better facilities
- Councillor led Art Group to organise Artist in Residence and art wall exhibitions
- Sponsorship of hanging baskets and Christmas lighting to enable improvements and extensions of the schemes.
To raise awareness of local environmental issues and to create opportunities for residents to engage with Leigh-on-Sea Town Council in finding and implementing solutions
- Use the Leigh-on-Sea Town Council Magazine to engage with residents and to promote and interact with external organisations
- Actively promote and be a part of the Friends of Library Gardens initiative and create interest for a Friends of Bonchurch Park group
- Actively promote and be a part of litter picking campaigns
- Promote Leigh-on-Sea Town Council and local environmental issues with engagement at events
- Art exhibitions to heighten awareness of environmental issues where appropriate